WHY DANCE WITH US?
What seems so hard today, will some day be your warm up.
The GADA Dance Company is more than just a group of competitors. Rather, we are a group of inspired artists who place performing with the heart above winning. We believe that dancing to win a competition limits the artistic potential of a performance. Which is why we are upfront that our company does not compete. The goal of our academy is not to win trophies, but rather honor the expression, integrity, and art of dance. What our dancers can do by performing with their hearts does more for their growth as an artist and individual, our academy and the art of dance, than a trophy ever could.
HEARTSONG IS FOR YOU IF:
AUDITION FOR 2018-19 COMPANY - JUNE 2ND 2018
Students will be accepted (or not) into the general company at June auditions. Students will then carry through summer class requirements, attend intensive, etc. A separate casting audition will be held in August right before fall rehearsals begin (2018 date TBD). THIS IS A REQUIRED SATURDAY.
*Being part of company DOES NOT guarantee being cast in a certain quantity of dances.
The company was created to give zealous dancers a chance to experience MORE! And by more, I mean, more performances, more choreography, more styles, more responsibility, more commitment and more art.
To me, dance is an art form first and foremost. I respect the athletic endeavors it can include, but I think something is lost in the magic of dance when it is treated solely as a sport.
I want dancers to grow and gain technique, BUT I want them to also grow as artists and learn what it means to create and express as a team as well as solo dancers. In order to meet that goal, I create opportunities each year that I think will enrich our dancers as dancers and as young adults.
2017-18 opportunities include:
- SUMMER CLASSES (two weekly classes required through summer – when in town – ballet is required to be one of the classes, summer series is suggested as second class, but open for negotiation)
- SUMMER INTENSIVE - July 31st - Aug 3rd
- SUMMER CASTING AUDITION – Saturday, August 12th
- SATURDAY REHEARSALS - classes/ rehearsals will begin August 19th for the year.
- SOLO opportunities for those interested - choreography costs apply
- MASTER CLASSES -Summer/ Fall/ Spring master class with touring casts and companies TBD.)
- DANCEMAKERS CONVENTION -San Antonio Dec 1-3
- SPRING CONCERT - Aiming for mid-April weekend – TBD
- DANCE EXCELLENCE CONVENTION - April 1-7th LA, Calif and Disneyland performance – optional
- SPRING GADA RECITAL
THE HEARTSONG DANCE COMPANY
Rehearsals are our time to bond as a company and for students to grow as individuals and dancers equally. In order to ensure the integrity of the company, and the physical, mental and technical growth of its members, dancers are expected to attend all scheduled rehearsals. If you must miss a rehearsal, dancers must notify Sally, ASAP, in writing (paper or email is fine) with MORE than a week’s notice. MISSING MORE THAN 2 SATURDAYS each semester (Sept-Dec and Jan-April) is not allowed and will result in being taken out of some, if not all, pieces.
Dress rehearsals are mandatory - a missed DRESS rehearsal, which is the rehearsal before a performance, IS considered a missed performance, no exceptions.
Students are expected to practice choreography at home between rehearsals. The company will learn much faster if choreography doesn’t have to be re-taught each week. If a student misses a rehearsal, it is their responsibility to get caught up with a fellow dancer BEFORE the next rehearsal takes place. We try to post YouTube practice videos for the dancers to use to practice with.
For the company, expenses are rolled into one lump sum and then divided into equal payments made June-May. It is estimated to cost $90 per month IN ADDITION to monthly tuition (all company dancers must take at last one tap, ballet, and jazz class each week).
- Summer classes both session – 2 classes in each session $126 +$126
- Summer Intensive $225
- Saturday rehearsals (based on $25 each month) rehearsals $250
- Costume rental fee $100
- DanceMAKERS Convention $250
- Total average estimated costs 2017-18 season = $90/month, paid June - May 2018